Saturday, August 21, 2010

Leg #13 London City to Lydd



One of the shortest legs of the T&E series, the flight from London City Airport to Lydd was 46 nautical miles. I refueled at City of Lights FBO with 37.03 gallons at $3.80/gallon. The departure out of EGLC was as dramatic as they get with a skyline in the foreground at what seems just off the end of the runway - metropolis obstructo-terribilis if I've ever seen one.



The weather was decent and kept things cool at low altitude as I stayed below with a few clouds at 1500 and a broken layer very close to above that. Along the way there were miles of quaint hamlets and small farming communities, I presumed.



I flew low and slow , following M20 to Dover and then turned west and followed the English Channel to Lydd. After landing, I went ahead and refueled with the good folks of GrowlAir-UK, purchasing 7.29 gallons of 100LL for only $3.50 gallon.

Stats: 0h 54m; 46 NM; 7.29 gallons of fuel (8.1 gal./h) Next flight is across the channel to the Netherlands. I'm really looking forward to my adventure through Europe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Will,
    I'm a reporter on a local newspaper covering Lydd. This blog just came up in a Google alert and I thought your story of going round the world in a flight simulator would make a quirky local angle for us. Fancy giving me an email? It's dbloom[AT]thekmgroup.co.uk.
    Best,
    Dan Bloom, Kentish Express

    ReplyDelete