Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ferry Flight to Amarillo

As with all great and laudable undertakings, there are usually a lot of preparations simply to get started. One of the first things I have to do is ferry the aircraft from Scribner, Nebraska. The reason for this is because I plan to log all of the flights online using fseconomy.com (FSE).

FSEconomy is a realistic economic environment for general aviation flight simmers. Members typically fly for hire, picking up jobs wherever they can and earning virtual money along the way. Money that can be used to rent or buy aircraft, make repairs, buy FBOs, and so forth. The way it works is you use a small software program that forms a liaison between the flight simulator and their website. The software detects the aircraft, its position, and adjusts the fuel to match the system database, and after a flight it even logs the results.

I've only been using FSE for a few weeks, but in that time I earned enough money to buy a Piper PA-18 Super Cub, which is about as close as you can get to Truman and Evans' PA-12 Super Cruisers; the 135 hp version of the PA-18 is almost identical to theirs.

I bought the plane from the system on December 16th. It was a brand new plane and I paid $78575 for it. Registered as NX2365M, I christened it "City of Washington" on its maiden voyage - a 22 nautical mile flight from from Scribner, Nebraska to Wahoo, Nebraska. I will fly her to Amarillo to start my journey around the world from there. So far I've logged a little more than 3 hours in this new plane. Last night I landed in Enid, Oklahoma after a night VFR flight from Ponca City. I'd like to finish the ferry flight today, but the weather is against it. Amarillo is reporting lots of fog and visibility is less than a quarter mile. That and the 600 foot overcast ceiling will keep me in Enid for a while longer, waiting for the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment